Friday, August 24, 2007

Defining The Black Socialite

I absolutely LOVE all of the emails, hate-o-grams, and comments I have received since launching this blog. Thank you, thank you, and keep em’ coming.

All of the correspondence and comments move me to tears of glee. What you have demonstrated in our short time together on this journey is that the need is soooooooooooo tremendous for this type of coverage and discourse.

I will press on as long as I can. It is great to know so many of you out there are truly interested in the REAL DEAL of the Black Socialite lifestyle and not that cotton candy “fluffery” of celebrities masquerading as socialites.

I must say that it is also very interesting to me how the phrase ‘black socialite’ has become extremely commercialized recently. Search on the Internet and you’ll see what I’m talking about. There are LOTS of random sites with authors’ self descriptions as “black socialite.”

These sites are swirling around at such a vicious rate that it is making my poor little head spin with angst. It reminds of the over usage of certain terms like ‘diva’ – given to people who have not earned the right to have such a title bestowed upon them.

I guess people have the right to call themselves whatever they want to in America but don’t you think it’s time for us to return to standards of excellence in our society?

Therefore, I think it is only fitting to provide my best operational definition of a true Black Socialite since we are still in our infancy (and several of you have asked me for this).

A Black Socialite is someone of African/ Black descent who possesses the ability to leverage their social capital and networks to participate in a series of social activities, events, and/or causes. These events may or may not support a philanthropic effort. Black Socialites often belong to predominately Black selective member organizations although membership into these organizations is not a requirement for socialite status.

Black Socialites are usually members of the middle or professional classes, working full time while balancing their active social lives. The history of Black Socialites is documented back to the mid to late 1800s when free Black women held activities for fellowship, personal enjoyment, and to support abolitionist causes. Some of these events included literacy functions, card parties, and musical events.

OK folks, hopefully this will help and keep us all on the same page.

Have fun this weekend!

And don't hurt yourselves!