Sunday, August 19, 2007

Preparing To Kiss Summer 2007 Goodbye

Today is an icky, rainy day in my neck of the woods. Hopefully, you are fairing better in your corner of the universe with the weather.

I lament that summer flies by much too quickly every year and this year is no exception. June is still one big blurry flash.

Many Black Socialites are trying to squeeze out the last few weeks of summer either in the Hamptons, on the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis, Maryland, the Caribbean, Europe, or Martha’s Vineyard.

In fact, I’m headed up to Oak Bluffs for a quick junket and gathering of fellow Socialites this week. We’ll chat, chew, and sip champagne while kissing summer 2007 goodbye forever.

The Vineyard is very pretty and tranquil. It provides a refreshing feeling of being fully relaxed in an environment where the people are cultured, interesting, and friendly. I suspect some of this might change if MTV moves forward with plans to cast a reality show featuring Black youths who vacation on the Vineyard, but we'll see.

On the flip side, the Vineyard is bloody hard to get to and I am not looking forward to the trek. I’m prepping my Ipod, clothes, makeup, accessories, and a book for my journey in between blogging.

This year, I had to show my face without question after declining invites for the past several years. In fact, some of my adopted Socialite Diva Mamas threaten to bludgeon me with their Jimmy Choos if I didn't make it up this year!

Could you imagine the sight of blood all over those fabulous shoes?

So, good people, I'm headed out. It’s just such a looooooong trip – but one that all Black Socialites (and aspirants) should place at the top of their social calendars to visit during the summer months.