Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Learning lessons from the new Miss USA

As many of you know, Ms. Crystle Stewart ,a 26 year old Sista from Missouri City, Texas was crowned the new Miss USA. What’s remarkable about her story is her level of perseverance. Stewart is also a bit older than most traditional Miss USAs and a business owner.

She kept her eye on the crowd for years after four failed attempts at becoming Miss Texas USA. She finally landed the title of Miss Texas USA last year.

Stewart also channels positive energy to keep her mind and spirit focused. She shared in an interview with The Today Show recently that “I don’t think about negative things. I just think positive things: ‘Don’t trip, answer my question right, and I’ll be OK."

I’m not a fan of pageants at all but I have to tip my hat to Girlfriend. Her determination paid off in the end.

So, before some of you decide to click your keyboard to ask me, ‘How long will it take me to become a Socialite?’ think about the new Miss USA.

You may have to be persistence in your quest (while remaining positive) for several years before you actualize your goal.



Photo credit: Steve Marcus, Reuters