Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Misplaced Priorities

Earlier this week, I was at a professional conference in the abyss of wireless technology connectivity otherwise known as Crystal City, Virginia. I’m not sure if it’s the old buildings, it’s proximity to the Pentagon, or what – but it was hard as the dickens to get online and maintain my mobile phone signal.

I hate that as you all know that I am quite the blogger ‘chatty patty.’

Anyhoo, I’m back home now to chat with you!

Last night, Special Friend and I were watching Real Housewives of New York in shock.

Side note: I love Bravo and have gotten Special Friend addicted to it as well. And, although I was heated that ‘Real Housewives’ did not have at least one Sista Socialite featured this season, I just had to check some of the episode out since this season centered around East Coast Socialites for field research purposes.

The most social climbing Socialite aspirant on the show made herself look like a complete boob. She and her husband (the parents of two small children) have an enormous house that is a complete wreck and had the nerve to host a party!

Capture this image in your mind’s eye.

You are entering the home of a couple who brought a multi million dollar home in 2005, vacations in St. Barts, spends tens of thousands of dollars each year on clothing, brought two $5000 tickets to Opening Night at the Met, and is questing to get their children in extremely pricey private schools.

So, as one of the others Socialites said, ‘You’d expect to enter a palace, right?’

Instead, you are confronted in sheer horror with ripped up floors, raggedy doors, peeling paint, and tacky looking furniture.

Special Friend and I were stunned.

Now for the record, Special Friend and I are both rather new to the home ownership game. He lives a large house; I have a two bedroom condo.

So, we totally get that a home is constant work in progress and it takes time to get your home in ‘order.’ However, in my mind home is where you have an opportunity to freely and creativity express yourself. It is also a place where you invite family and friends to relax and fellowship.

Home is also a retreat from the world’s madness and a place of restoration and repair.

And, as much as I love to zoom around, there is nothing like being comfy at home with a glass of great wine and my feet propped up listening to music, reading, watching TV, or curled up under my man.

But help me to understand where is someone’s priorities that spends loads of money fronting the Socialite lifestyle but can live in such a horrible mess that they have become blind to the clutter?!

I’m sure some of you are calling out the names of some people who are doing just that.

I don’t get it.

To me, it makes no sense to ‘wear the mask that grins and lies’ to go home to demolition site.

Perhaps you feel differently. I just know that it would be extraordinarily difficult for me to be a socialite and my home is a hot mess.

OK - the vent is done. I'll get back to posting some flicks and other hot happenings soon.

Cheers all!