Monday, August 25, 2008

Loss, Excitement, & Surprise

I’m recovering from my vacation and back to the proverbial grind. It was a nice time but I’m glad to be home.

You know your girl and how I try to keep it light on this blog. But I gotta tell you…it seems as if the Death Angel has been extremely busy within the past few months. I have been personally touched by the death of a former mentor, a family member, and several older sorors. I’m sure that some of you may be experiencing the same thing.

My heart goes out to the Sister Greeks of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. who recently loss their beloved soror, Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones From everything that I have read and heard, I understand that she was a phenomenal woman. Funeral services will be held this Friday.

On to other news, I bet many of you will be glued to your TV this week watching the Democratic National Convention. It should be exciting and many of our Super Socialites are in Denver with all of their finery – working behind the scenes or as delegates. Go, go, go!

While I was chatting it up with a few pals this weekend, I caught my first glimpse of the so-called DNC After Party’ coverage from TV One.

Let’s just say that the commercial made me clutch the pearls in horror.

I was really surprised that TV One would go there (although my Mom doesn’t understand why Black people still suprise me).

The question to TV One - Must we allow ourselves to be portrayed as dancin’ and partyin’ at such a historically significant and important time?

It just seems so…inappropriate.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m all about the good time in its proper context.

nd there will be plenty of partying ahead of us in due time. I’m just annoyed that TV One’s promotional spots for media coverage emphasize the par-tay. All I could do is sigh particularly since two of the participants are people that I admire tremendously (Jacque Reid and Dr. Michael Eric Dyson).

I don’t know if I’ll see this show since I hit the bed pretty early. But, I may try to view it so that I can scream with more substance in a follow up post (grins).

Anyhoo, I have to get my snacks lined up for tonight. I want to have my feet up comfortably with remote in hand.

We’ll catch up soon!