Monday, August 18, 2008

Real Housewives of Atlanta - I Accept Full Responsibility

For several months, I have received emails galore about the rumored (now true) Bravo TV series Real Housewives of Atlanta. I knew about the show for quite awhile and was aware of the casting call. I actually encouraged a few people to consider auditioning for the show.

I take full responsibility for what appears to be a nightmare show depicting Black women as neck-craning, loud, cursing loons. I’m taking several deep breaths while I’m writing this posting.

After all, you may remember that I was the one who trumpeted the call for representation of Black women on the Real Housewives’ series. I encouraged blog readers to email, call, and sky type requests to see Sistas on Bravo. My posting was syndicated on Reuters News Service and I was eventually contacted by a Bravo producer to assist with casting for the ‘Real Housewives of New York.’

So understand good people, I was actually rather happy to hear about a predominately Black version of this show based in Atlanta (which is my maternal ancestral home).

Then, I saw the series sneak preview with my mouth agape. One of the main housewives dropped the ‘m*****f****’ bomb and the others seemed very focused on spending wads of money I don’t recall this level of gross material consumption being the anchor to promote the other Real Housewives shows. None of the ladies casted actually live in Atlanta and they pretty much move in the athlete/entertainer circles only.

Rumor has it that several of these ladies attempted to score membership in various Black Elite organizations and were flatly denied largely because of their over-the-top behavior.

The cast includes DeShawn Snow, Kim Zolciak (the only White cast member), Lisa Wu Hartwell, NeNe Leakes, and Sheree Whitfield.

Before I chat more about this show, I’ll wait and view a few episodes.

I’m sure you’re interested in seeing it too.