Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Who Are You?

I get this question a lot. Underneath the simple premise of this question is an even deeper (or more probing) inquiry.

It goes something like this…

What qualifies you to write about The Black Elite?
Are you a member of a sorority? The Links? Jack & Jill? The Girlfriends?
Where do you live?
How do you finance the Socialite lifestyle? Do you come from a wealthy family?

Here’s the scoop ladies and gentlemen.

In time, I promise to share more details of my life.

What I will tell you are the things that long time readers already know about me. I’m 37 and live in a large East Coast city. I have a boyfriend (Special Friend) who is my partner, best friend, and companion.

I work full time and blog ‘on the side’ (no, this is not my primary gig!)

I am a financially active member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and affiliate with a graduate chapter. I am also member of an old chapter of The Links, Incorporated (where I am an officer) and The Junior League (where I was on the Board of Directors).

My social life is on overdrive. On top of working full time, maintaining a relationship, and keeping connected with my close friends, I also work as a committed volunteer for various organizations.

I'm pragmatically optimistic which is why the tone of the blog tends to be positive with some 'call it as I see it' honesty.

There is no official ‘team’ for The Black Socialite – just me, a digital camera, Special Friend, and my buddies who share news and topics worth covering. Periodically, some of you send me really good links, photos, and stories of happenings in your hometown that I post as well.

I am so happy that the majority of you are enjoying what you read. Your emails and notes on Facebook keep me encouraged.

More good news about America’s Black Elite is forthcoming!