Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy Founders Day Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.!

My sorority is 103 years old! It been nice to receive tweets, text messages, and emails from Sorors and members of other Black Greek Lettered Organizations (BGLOs) in honor of this day.

I was reading some history earlier this morning and learned that eight Black women were lynched in the United States the same year that my sorority was founded. Not only did this information chill me to my bones, it also reaffirmed why I believe Black womens' organizations are necessary entities.

Over the years, my sorority has contributed millions of dollars and human capital to improve the lives of Black people internationally. Some take issue with our methodologies in terms of selective membership, our homage to "Greek history," or the real economic value of the organization.

But one thing is for certain - more lives have been positively transformed than negatively impacted because of our existence.


All of the BGLOs (except for one) were founded in the late fall/early winter. What can this suggest for us? That winter is the season of productivity to plant the seeds for spring's blooms. So whether you are in a BGLO or not, this is the season to create an affinity group or circle that will be mutually beneficial while providing a service to others.