Sunday, October 26, 2014

Avoid Selling Your Soul to Dance With Devils

I must admit that I find my roles of wife,  stepmother, careerist, PhD student, and organizational leader simultaneously invigorating and exhausting. While these experiences are all very wonderful,  I often find myself trying to be the best at them all. And many times, I feel like I'm neglecting one to adequately serve the other.

Therefore, I have very little space and place for what I coin as "Tom Foolery" in my social life. I can't have my socialite activities marred by the sheer silliness of people who psychologically have not graduated from high school and college.

You know some of these people.  They are dramatists to the nth degree. They enjoy being the center of attention - even if it's negative attention created by their own design. Attention equals power in these people's minds and they are ruthless in their pursuit of it.

What's even more provocative about these folks is their ability to cultivate communities of supporters to do their bidding. Because they're verbose and always whirling about, the weak minded and insecure desire to be a part of their "light."

What followers fail to realize is the light is actually what I phrase as "devil's fire." It's deceptively illuminating and also destructive.

As you continue on your socialite quest, think long and hard about with whom you choose to affiliate. Examine the track record and agendas of people before you jump on their "team."

And by all means, avoids devil's fire by seeking out light-bearers who are kind of spirit and heart versus those that use their light to burn others.